Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Mind Matters

I enjoyed this article so I thought I would share it with any who might read this blog. I have supposed for some time now that we (people in general) give ourselves too little credit for the level of our intelligence. "For I am fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:14).

I have been in the Navy now for about two years. I have successfully completed my training in one of the military's toughest schools, academically. I have observed the intellectual growth of several different types of individuals in a harsh academic environment. I have seen young men and women of average intellect radically change their views of themselves after passing through this program. Before they joined the Navy, most of these individuals would never have considered that they could accomplish this much (what they can now look back on as history). No intellectual field is closed to a majority of these individuals. I, for one, stymied myself from the elite pursuits thinking I could never hack it. But now I realize that I could have...Or is it that after I have completed a year and a half of mental training that I am now ready for any academic pursuit known to man. All that I truly lack is motivation. And for those who have motivation; you can accomplish nearly all that you put your mind to.

I believe that we have larger mental capacities than we think. I think we have more intellectual ability than we will admit. Why would anyone want to be dummed down? With greater knowledge comes greater responsibility. In addition, we don't want to give up cable television. Because if we gave up television and games and such, we would spend our time in intellectual pursuits: classical education, self government (morally and politically), and Christian Theism. For some the intellect is harder to exercise than the body, for others vice versa. We should not neglect the conditioning of either. Although society places such a great emphasis upon our bodies we should place greater emphasis on our minds especially for those of us whose minds are renewed.

"...for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come." I Timothy 4:8

No comments: