Monday, January 29, 2007

Intelligent Children?

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Interestingly enough this book has caused a stir regarding the level of intelligence that children really have. I must say for my part I agree with the author's assessment. I think children are smarter than most adults give them credit for. In fact, I merely think of children as little people; for that is who they really are. A lot of people act/talk differently around children "condescending to their level." I, on the other hand, talk differently when I am around adults-adults wear masks-and plainly when I speak to children. I have to craft my words when I talk to adults when I am around children all I have to do is be myself.

I know that I am "grown up," but I don't "feel" grown up. I think/feel the same as when I was a child-child defined as younger than 18yrs old. Adults make such sharp distinctions on what it is to be adult. Drinking coffee, dissociating with children, getting into debt; these are some of the telltale signs of adulthood...I practice none of these (I know these are not the same for everyone but these are my example of why I do not "feel" adult).

And...I am an adult. I can start a sentence with "and" if I want to. "Being an adult is having the ability to make the choice." Well, I had the cognitive ability to make that choice when I was 5-and many other choices growing up.

I'll admit that I have matured, but my theories have not drastically changed. I am still the same creature philosophically and theologically-meaning I see the world through the same eyes as when I was a "child."

More admissions: God has put parents in authority over their children so what they say is right bottom line. Not necessarily right before God, but right for the child to obey w/o a divisive and questioning attitude. There is supposedly a recourse for children to call into question whether the parent's ruling is in accordance with God's law but usually parents make it very difficult to appeal.

My antipathy regarding this entire affair under consideration is the unjust, unfair, and unequal treatment of children. Jesus said "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them" (Matthew 19:14).

I believe that they must learn their place in humanity: as under authority and never autonomous.

I believe that they must learn their place in humanity: persons yet maturing.

No comments: