Saturday, September 13, 2008

A nation of priests.

Every Christian is a priest. He needs no mediator to go to God. What about she...? Neither does she.

What I'm getting at is the priesthood of women. Is a female Christian a priest? Emphatically, yes! We all know Him. So what happens when I'm gone? Do I leave my boy in charge of the house in some patriarchal fashion with my wife simply as the young child's caretaker or is my wife in charge when I'm gone.

Patriarchal tendencies in conservative Christian circles would lead you to behave in such a way as to affirm the priesthood of only male Christians; at least this is my perception. But this subverts the Biblical idea that we are a nation of priests.

When I'm gone: school/work or deployed for six months; my wife will act as the priest of the home to facilitate the spiritual/religious life of our family. When I'm home it should be no different except that I will too act as a priest. And for those who think I'm attempting to subvert lines of authority, I'm not. Just think of me as the high priest of my home and my wife as a priest who functions in my stead when I'm gone.

No comments: