Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Calling a Cripple a Cripple

Do you? No. It is acknowledged, but your mother told you not to stare or point. So you don't do it. But what do you do when a non-cripple vies for attention claiming to be crippled and is somehow entitled to special treatment because of it? You heartily dismiss it or give in ushering in a reign of terror. Not an authoritarian night mare mind you, but a psychological and social nightmare. Why do I say that? What happens when you give a mouse a cookie?

Keep this in mind when you read this: House poised to apologize for slavery, Jim Crow

Let the accusations roll. "If you don't support this then you support slavery." I prefer the third option...There are no living freed slaves today to make reparations to, thus no one is deserving of "cash payments" to make themselves feel better about what happened to someone else.

Cash payments? What? The money I work hard for taken from me to give to someone whom I have not wronged. Does this make sense? Why (if they ever make these cash payments) would I be punished for someone else's sins? Public funds should not be spent in such a manner. It is fiscally irresponsible to do so. I am in support of an official apology but making reparations to people only possibly, indirectly affected is a stretch.

The point of the title:

"African-Americans continue to suffer from the consequences of slavery and Jim Crow -- long after both systems were formally abolished -- through enormous damage and loss, both tangible and intangible, including the loss of human dignity and liberty, the frustration of careers and professional lives, and the long-term loss of income and opportunity," the resolution states.

This suggests that black Americans descended of slaves are incompetent so they need a crutch (even if it is only an emotional one). As an American I am offended in this being suggested of any of my fellow Americans. The black community should be offended too. I am not black or descended of any slaves that I know of...But if I was, for some reason I think that I would not let that get in the way of my ambitions.

No comments: