Thursday, June 26, 2008

Letter to My Friend

I was going to FWD a Constitution Party email I had but instead found a link http://www.scconstitutionparty.com/DontWasteYourVote.aspx I am really struck that one so principled as yourself would change stride (moral imperative to utilitarian) for "the short term." I thought that principled people like us most often made decisions based on long run consequences.

To tell you the truth, it isn't even good for the "lesser of two evils" to be in power in the short run. No matter who is in office, the same legislation will be signed. No political power rests with any president who is unwilling to resist evil (or at the very least unConstitutional bills). You want the guy who will keep the sluice shut over the guy who would open it...When both are being overrun by a tidal wave.

The liberals don't quit. If they have a bill rejected, they resubmit it until it is signed. They may change the name of the bill (i.e. Federal Reserve Bill, 1913), they may pressure the president (i.e. Howard Phillips referenced Ronald Reagan in a letter saying "they tell me I have to"), or they may try an end run (i.e. watch current events; Ireland rejects EU Reform Bill and now the EU wants to run it through as a Treaty to bypass the voting populace). Any other president other than a true conservative will not resist the liberals...

No comments: