Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Logic and Faith in Christianity (cf. Faith in the Illogical Premise of Materialism)

Tyler,

Personally, I wouldn't say science was founded on the belief that a logical God exists…I would say scientific reasoning relies on logic which presumes the law of non-contradiction. There is no evidence for the laws of logic. And I agree that logic reflects the mind of God.

My reduction of Materialism: I cannot believe in God because there is no proof of his existence. I must see the evidence before I can believe it. I will not put blind faith in anything…except for the philosophy that says I will not put blind faith in anything. The truth is that I put my faith in that philosophical position. I accept it 'a priori' and evaluate everything by that presupposition. But the most important thing to remember is this: there is no proof for my belief system; I accept it on faith and subsequently reject all other faith positions as untenable because they lack the evidentiary basis. I know it is illogical but I'm human so the irrational doesn't bother me.

The reality is that there is a God. I have faith. I am not ashamed to have faith in the unseen and use logic to evaluate that which is seen. It is paradoxical, but that doesn't make it irrational. To me the faith position may be tenable so long as it is not self-contradictory. 'Credo ut intelligam.' I believe the only presupposition to make sense of the world in a non-contradictory way is theism. That is what I believe. To ask for evidence of what is neither provable nor disprovable is intellectually dishonest. The Epistle to the Romans indicates the basis for unbelief is immorality and unbelief is the justification we seek to excuse our own behavior. Belief requires repentance. I do not say it with pride. If not for the grace of God I would not believe. He called me. Thank God he gave me the choice to listen.

No comments: