Saturday, August 16, 2008

Greenhouse Gas, Coal and more Gas

I thought this was an interesting article: Santee Cooper offers zero-interest loans for solar panels. Hmm, I wonder how much it would cost to get solar panels and how much I would get paid for selling energy back. My guess is that it would be too expensive for me. But if this is any indication, then I'll wait a while (Bright and sunny S.C. offers few incentives for selling solar power).

The article was not listed in the Charleston Regional Business Journal. I couldn't find it but I did find a whole host of other stories on Santee Cooper.

A few in particular caught my eye. Groan. Environmentalism...And other interests are trying to prevent Santee Cooper from building additional coal-fired power plants (Santee Cooper’s coal plans fire debate).

Are people stupid? Do they know what drives up energy prices? Use. Demand. Whatever you want to call it. We need more and there is not enough. Economists call this phenomenon scarcity.

I understand that no one wants a plant in their backyard. But it has to go somewhere. And it would be better in areas with less population, sorry folks. But I'm glad to see some efforts to push nuclear power: Utilities sign contract for nuclear construction. Sigh...When will people learn?

No comments: